NWS: Thunder at Sea is an operational naval campaign simulator centering on surface warfare that also includes air and submarine elements. Thunder at Sea uses the latest version of the Fighting Steel Project to resolve the resulting surface engagements. Thunder at Sea is capable of simulating any naval operation between 1890 and 1945, currently however it handles campaigns in the FSP time period (1939-45). Command the lonely Tirpitz lurking in Norwegian fiords, ready to pounce upon the arctic convoys. Lead savage encounters in the waters outside Guadalcanal. Hunt disguised raiders in the vast reaches of the Indian Ocean. Face the rain of steel conducting evacuations off Crete. Thunder at Sea comes with several operational scenarios including Operation Rheinubung, Guadalcanal, Malta convoys, Arctic convoys and German raiders in the Indian Ocean. Information on fates of individual ships recorded and presented after the battle. also included is a random scenario generator. In addition, users can create their own scenarios, or edit existing scenarios, as the scenario format is fully open and documented. Documentation of scenario format is included with the simulation.
* Full zoom capable detailed strategic map covering any theatre in the world.
* Land and weather effects included.
* Land based and carrier air, submarines and minefields.
* Recon by land or carrier aviation, or floatplanes.
* Shadowing by cruiser patrols.
* Realistically unclear, delayed, or even misleading sighting reports.
* Operational scenarios covering up to a month.
* Real time with pause function for orders.
* Realistic range limitations and refueling, at sea or in port.
* Missions for task forces include: Convoy, Tactical transport, Bombard, Mine laying, Intercept, Patrol etc.
* Surface battles are resolved using the latest version of the free Fighting Steel Project.
* Automatic feedback of battle results from Fighting Steel.
* Cause of loss recorded for every ship sunk or damaged.
* Play as either side or let the AI handle both sides and sit back and play the resulting scenarios.
* Campaigns with a series of linked Thunder at Sea scenarios in a specific theatre.
* The ability to edit your own missions using a scenario editor!
(Copyright © 2008 Naval Warfare Simulations - Any other form of distribution or linking to the files linked below is strictly prohibited.)
Thunder at Sea Demo v1.40
Screenshots of Thunder At Sea
Thunder at Sea Update v1.00 to v1.50 ***TAS Version 1.00 REQUIRED***
Revised "Indian Ocean' Scenario (TAS v1.50 required!)
This update fixes a misspelling of a ship name that could cause game issues in some instances...
TAS Scenario Editing Tips By Mike Fox
NWS Thunder At Sea - Scenario Editor
ABDA campaign Unpack into your TAS folder...
Leyte Gulf Scenario For use with TAS v1.4 or later...
RN Nightmares Scenario TAS scenario by Mike Fox
Samar Scenario Cut-down version of Leyte Scenario
Clash of Empires Campaign Campaign RN+French+Dutch versus IJN
Fast & Furious Scenario Henrik's scenario with some minor changes by Mike Fox. Extract this into your Thunder at Sea folder.
Harder Indian Ocean Scenario A harder version for the Allies as IJN planes have higher speeds effectively allowing longer range strikes in daylight
Corrected RheinWhatIf scenario (2-15-2007) CORRECTED 'RHEINWHATIF' SCENARIO -- FIXES MISSING CONVOYS!
"RRR" on the Oceans scenario (as KM) Should be played from the German (KM) side. This updated version includes the updated ship data file from below.
UPDATED/CORRECTED "RRR" on the Oceans scenario ship data file Extract this into your (KM version) "RRR on the Oceans" folder and overwrite the existing file. This update corrects errors in the ship data file. (11-19-2007)
"RRR" on the Oceans scenario (as RN) Should be played from the Royal Navy (RN) side. (Added 10-5-2007)
IMPORTANT NOTE: The above scenarios are unofficial additional scenarios (created by various TAS players) and are not directly supported by NWS as many exceed the parameters of the game and should be played with this fact in mind. Thank You.